Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Manhattan


This city, reckless and spinning out of control, with lights reminiscent of Christmas trees past.
As I step out my door; I am assaulted with life, This energy that surrounds me creates a high that can't last.

Still there is something so soothing swimming in this sea of anonymity.
As if this stage has been set with stand-in's who don't know me.

Kings and paupers rub elbows en route to their various destinations in cattle cars more populated then some European nations.

I am a thief stealing time to soak it all in. Every building I pass a window to this city's soul.
As made evident to the masses down below, looking up at the "corner office thugs" with their hearts as dark as coal.

Every nation is represented; every culture pours in to be tested.
While the tenements grow thicker with their dreams that are wasted.

However, light reflects beautifully off these canyon walls of industry, and every street I pass dulls this blade of nostalgic misery.

I never felt more peaceful than in this city of noise; I have never felt more confident than when surrounded by her poise.

written by- Aaron Gabrielsen

6 comments:

Kay Hinton said...

You captured the soul of Manhattan beautifully. Your peace and confidence there may have something to do with that it's where you fell in love?? . . . Just a thought.

aaron said...

yes I am glad you caught that, especially in the last line I am making somewhat of a reference to Carina my east coast Bambina!

buddy said...

I like this...a lot. Caught the feel of Manhatten!! If you are tired and don't feel like doing anything....the minute you step onto a N.Y. sidewalk, the energy of the city carries you along. It is a beautiful city. cjg

Anonymous said...

I didn't forget to check your blog this time. :) This is Sarah from the theater. Your writing is stunning and I am very impressed with your photographs. I'm glad you liked stumbleupon and hope it keeps you occupied when you are bored. :) I'll keep checking your blog; I love your writing. Thanks! :)

aaron said...

Thank you Sarah for your feedback its always fun to hear an outsiders perspective on my writting. I also liked that movie you recomended I guess I can trust your taste now! lol. Thanks again I am working on another post soon.

The Allens said...

Did you get my comments on email? I'll post them here too. Anyway . . .I love the images you create. They are all references that are familiar if you've ever been in the city. Justin and I just finished the PBS documentary series about the history of New York City. You should netflix it. Also, have you ever read Carl Sandburg's poetry about Chicago at the turn of the century. It's good stuff.