Thursday, July 15, 2010

Overcast Reflections on Bristol Bay

The wind was pushing 30 knots from the east. That is never a pleasant reality when on a small boat bobbing just off the Bearing Sea. To the west lay the emerald ocean of tundra that meanders it's way quietly to the dramatic power of snow capped mountains, which stand as silent guardians to us mere mortals below. However this is difficult to see, as the wind sends the frigid, salt water waves crashing over our boat and directly into my face.
As I flex every muscle and tendon in my body to pull the net writhing with salmon over the stern of the boat, out of their safety and into ours, my mind for some reason wanders on this overcast Alaskan day. Off in the distant past; I see a young man like myself, working on a ship in weather not too unlike today. The pain in his face tells a story of his life.

In another instant, my mind is traveling over a rocky plateau in Wyoming on a blustery and cold autumn afternoon. I see a trail of hand carts and tears as bloody feet and hands push towards the repose only god and honest toil can give one's soul.

Next I see my grandfathers eyes as he leads a team of horses through a hot and dusty field, he wonders if this will be a better year for him, his family and crops. Yet, comfort like dew springs forth in the sweat of his brow knowing that god accepts his sacrifice.

There is a spiritual purity in the hard work of hands whether it be on land, mountain, or sea.
I am worried sometimes that this connection is lost in the desert of technology.
                  
written by- Aaron Gabrielsen


5 comments:

buddy said...

aaron, i really like this...i would like to use it sunday when i speak in a fireside...would that be ok?
reading this made me think that battling physical challanges does make recognizing the need for and seeking help beyond ourselves much more intense; whereas, the more subtle and covert dangers of the tech age tend to lull us into a false sense of well-being and isolationism from either feeling the need for help beyond ourselves or recognizing that divine help even exists.
cjg

Carolyn Law said...

WOW! You are an amazing writer. And I agree with you and the digital age. Thanks for sharing

Kay Hinton said...

Profound and well-expressed thoughts, Aaron.

The Allens said...

I love that line "push toward the repose that only God and honest toil can give one's soul." What a great truth you've expressed in exposing the dangers of our digital age. And you've done it by weaving three of our heroic ancestors stories together! Cool stuff!

aaron said...

I get that there is some irony in me writing about the dangers of the digital age on a blog.